Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The tale of the green fun fur scarf...


When I first started knitting, I was lured in by the promise lie of the one-skein-scarf. A long dramatic scarf that I could wrap around my neck? Or a little objet to drape around my shoulders? I'm there! Give me yarn!

I found a pattern online of a little shawl that called for one skein of Trendsetter Eyelash and one skein of Trendsetter Charm. It looked so pretty casually thrown over the model's shoulders. I decided that I needed one.So, wandering around my local Ben Franklin's, I spied a skein of Trendsetter's Crisantemo in one of my favourite colours - olive green. Furry eyelash and colourful bits! Can't fail with this!

So..I cast on...and knitted...and knitted..and realized, this was not a shawl. This was a bandanna. And then my husband saw it.


D: "What is it?"

Me: "A scarf...what do you think it is?"

D: "Is it supposed to look like that?"

Me: (Starting to give the look)Yes...why?

D: "I mean...is it supposed to look like grass? Is it a rug?"

Me: "No... I told you...it's a scarf."

D: "Well....is it supposed to look like fur? Because, you know...it's green."

Fashion advice coming from someone who buys his socks in a plastic sack.

And then I realized something. I'm not really a fun-fur type of person. And, being 100% polyester, it was HOT, and itchy.

Good thing it looks good on someone else I know.

1 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

They suck you in at the yarn store... the skeins look so pretty, all feathery/furry....until you start knitting with them....

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home